Friday, January 10, 2014

Day 1: Welcome to your Master Black Belt, here's your accordion.

Day 1 Today we had our kick-off call, Brett and I, with David from LSI. I knew that this program would have high requirements, lots of tough deliverables, and a tight time frame, but I didn't really think that Day 1 would actually arrive. Well, here it is chica and now it's time to step up.
My employer had essentially given me the option of completing a Master Black Belt or an Masters degree in Business Administration (MBA). Why did I pick the MBB over the MBB? 

Lemme break it down:

MBA
  • expensive ($70K? really? where's the fridge?)
  • huge time requirements (every weekend for at least 18 months - blech)
  • partially-relevant curriculum* (see below)
  • every one's got one (yawn)
  • moderate to low value for my organization (we have several MBAs in management)
MBB
  • better priced than an MBA
  • more international experience and exposure
  • totally relevant curriculum
  • not many folks have one (or have heard of it)
  • better value for my organization
What's with the *? Well, the fact is I have been having the MBA debate with myself for almost 15 years now. Every year I have decided against it. Why? Primarily because I don't think I will learn something new and challenge myself throughout the entire program. 

A bit of backstory on me is required here I think.

In 1999, the company I worked for was acquired and shut down by our new overlords, er owners. I had been in commercial software since finishing university and quite enjoyed the field. Myself and three of my employees, along with a business peer, took our "kiss-off" cheques and started our own company doing, essentially, what we had been doing before - providing a service to software development companies. Tricky thing with having your own company is that you actually have to do EVERYTHING. So I learned first hand and the hard way:

Everything you wanted to know about owning a company (but were afraid to ask)... such as: legal, accounting, payroll, benefits, employment law, tax, company structure, corporate reporting, marketing, graphic design, website design, press releases, trademarking, sales, contracts, IP protection, work-for-hire, copyright, non-disclosure, indemnification, insurance, facilities & physical plant, telecom & IT (network, security, server, desktop), invoicing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, financial reporting, and that was before we actually did the software services themselves!

So I am not convinced that for all that time and money that I'm going to learn something absolutely new and earth shattering to me. I don't think I'd enjoy spending that much time on something I have a low level of passion for... so... when I completed my Black Belt in Spring 2012, and David approached me about doing a Master Black Belt, I have to admit I was intrigued. 

The more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea. I had expanded my role at work to include Continuous Improvement in my areas of responsibility, along with Quality and Environmental Management. So it seemed the right direction in which to go....

... and so here we go!

AMac


1 comment: